Hong Kong’s population is increasing and it is one of the world’s most expensive cities. What are the other numbers and comparisons that make up this city that we all know and love? Read on to find out!
According to the latest census, the population of Hong Kong stands at just over 7.3 million. The majority of residents (92%) are of Chinese ethnicity, with the remaining 8% made up of other Asian nationalities, Caucasian expatriates, and mixed-race individuals.
The city is densely populated, with an average of 6,500 people per square kilometer. Despite this, Hong Kong still has a relatively low crime rate. In 2016, there were only 2.9 reported crimes per 1,000 residents.
When it comes to education, Hong Kong consistently ranks as one of the top-performing jurisdictions in the world. In the school year, over 90% of students achieved satisfactory results in their Diploma of Secondary Education exams.
Hong Kong is also one of the world’s most economically free societies, according to the Heritage Foundation’s Index of Economic Freedom. The city scored particularly well on measures of business freedom, investment freedom, and fiscal freedom. Click here for data hong kong
Hong Kong’s economy is one of the most open and free in the world. The city has a highly developed capitalist economy, ranked as the freest economy in the Index of Economic Freedom. According to the Heritage Foundation, Hong Kong is the world’s tenth-largest trading economy, with annual trade exceeding $1 trillion.
The city’s service-oriented economy is also highly diversified, with tourism, finance, shipping, and other sectors all playing significant roles. Financial services alone account for more than a quarter of GDP. And despite its small size, Hong Kong is home to some of the world’s largest companies, including HSBC, Hutchison Whampoa, and Swire Pacific.
Income inequality is relatively high in Hong Kong, but the city still ranks highly on many measures of economic opportunity and prosperity. The per capita GDP is among the highest in the world, and unemployment is low. In recent years, rising housing costs have caused some concern about affordability, but overall Hong Kong remains an attractive destination for businesses and workers alike.
Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated cities in the world, and it’s no surprise that its energy consumption is correspondingly high. The majority of this energy comes from coal-fired power plants, which has resulted in the city having some of the worst air pollution levels on earth.
Despite these challenges, Hong Kong has made great strides in recent years in terms of renewable energy. Solar power capacity has increased by nearly 20-fold since 2010, and there are now over 100 wind turbines in operation across the city. With continued investment and commitment, Hong Kong could become a model for sustainable urban living.
Climate change is one of the most pressing issues facing Hong Kong today. The city is already feeling the effects of rising temperatures and sea levels, and it is expected to experience more extreme weather events in the future.
Hong Kong’s government has been slow to act on climate change, but there are signs that this is starting to change. In 2018, the government released its first-ever Climate Action Plan, which set out targets for reducing emissions and increasing resilience to climate change.
There is still a long way to go, but it is clear that Hong Kong is starting to take climate change seriously. With continued action, the city can make a real difference in the fight against this global problem.
There are many other countries in the world with a wealth of data and comparisons. Hong Kong is just one example. Other countries include the United States, China, Japan, and more.