Healing after fissure surgery can be challenging. You need to take special care of your anal area to avoid further complications. A fissure is a small tear or crack in the skin or tissue surrounding the anus. It’s a common condition among infants and women who have just given birth. Nevertheless, it can also affect adults, especially those who are older than 50 years.
Fissure surgery is one of the most effective treatments. The doctor removes the torn tissues and stitches up the area so that it doesn’t recur. The sooner you get treated, the faster your body can start recovering. The first few weeks after fissure surgery are crucial in determining the long-term outcomes of this procedure.
The process of fissure surgery is known as sphincterotomy. In this, the outermost part of the anal sphincter is cut. It breaks the muscle spasm, improving blood flow to the area of the fissure, resulting in relief of pain and healing of the fissure.
Precautions to take afterward
After the fissure surgery, you may experience discomfort and even rectal bleeding. Therefore, it is advised to provide attention and take care. In addition, the following precautions should be taken to ensure a successful recovery:
- Eat Right: Following the fissure surgery, the tissues surrounding your anus undergo temporary changes, including swelling and inflammation of the tissues. Therefore, you must avoid eating spicy and fatty foods after the surgery. Consume fibre-rich foods like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Also, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated and healthy. If you are having difficulty eating solid foods, you can consume liquid or soft foods, such as soup, as they can be easily digested. Eating the right foods can help you avoid digestive issues and complications. It can also help in smooth and speedy recovery.
- Avoid Constipation: Avoid getting constipated following a fissure surgery. Therefore, you need to ensure that your diet includes fibre-rich foods, which can help you avoid and relieve constipation. If you eat foods that are rich in fibre and drink plenty of water, you can prevent constipation. You can also consume laxatives to ensure a smooth and healthy bowel movement.
- Use pads: You may experience bleeding after the surgery. However, this bleeding may cause infection. Therefore, it is advisable to use a sanitary napkin to avoid any spotting and infection.
- Exercising: It is advisable to avoid strenuous activity for about a week after surgery. However, after this, you should stay active by performing mild exercises. Sitting for longer periods may form blood clots. On the other hand, it can help you recover quickly and prevent complications from occurring.
- Take Pain Medication: A fissure surgery may cause pain and discomfort. Reduce the pain by taking pain medications. The doctor will prescribe you pain medications after surgery. You should take pain medications as prescribed by your doctor. However, you should not exceed the daily dosage of the medication to avoid side effects. You can also try other pain-relieving methods like applying a warm compress and meditation to help you deal with the pain.
- Avoid the use of toilet paper: After a fissure surgery, you should not use dry toilet tissue. Instead, for bowel movements, use a wet cotton tissue to clean your anus. If possible, take a warm water bath.
- Regular application of ointment: In case your doctor has prescribed an ointment, do not miss to apply this as prescribed.
You should follow these post-surgery precautions after a fissure surgery to help speed up the healing process and make your recovery as comfortable as possible.
Fissure surgery is the best way to treat this condition. However, you must follow post-surgery precautions to speed up the healing process. It can help you recover faster and prevent complications from occurring. Eating the right foods, avoiding constipation, staying dry, walking often, and taking pain medication are some post-surgery precautions to have a fissure surgery. If you have a fissure, you may be wondering if you need to have surgery. Consulting a doctor is the best in such a case.
If you have been suffering from fissures for a while, you should know that surgery is the best way to treat it. This surgery helps cure fissures and prevent the condition from coming back.