Repairs are inevitable for all garage doors. It is probably the first thing on your mind when your garage door breaks that it will cost a lot to fix.
The cost of overhead garage door repair varies depending on the extent of the repair, the parts involved, the type and size of the garage door, and the garage door company you choose.
Do-it-yourself projects are popular among homeowners. They may seem convenient at first because there are no service fees. It is risky, and you might injure yourself or cause further damage without experience. Whatever the case may be, you’ll still need to buy tools and replacement parts if you don’t have them on hand.
According to HomeAdvisor, the average cost of repairing a garage door in the U.S. is $223. Will you be spending the same amount? Definitely not.
Before checking out the price or cost for overhead garage door repair, let’s first check for signs that indicate the need for repair.
Signs That You Need to Consult a Professional for Repair:
In what ways can you tell if your garage door needs to be repaired or replaced? You may not be aware of the following signs:
- There is no way to open or close the lid. This is one obvious sign of a broken garage door. Occasionally, electrical problems can cause a door not to move; in other cases, the engine or tracks may be malfunctioning. All of these issues should be addressed by a professional garage door service.
- There is a slowdown in its performance. An electrical or motor issue may be causing this.
- There is uneven movement of the door or it sits unevenly on the ground. A door that’s slightly out of alignment can cause this problem, as can a door that has a motor that is not performing as efficiently as the other.
- Opening the door causes it to shake. One of the tracks is faulty in this case, which is another potentially dangerous situation.
- There is a problem with the door’s track. In this case, a garage door repair professional is needed. Putting a garage door back on its tracks should never be attempted by the homeowner.
- There is a lot of noise coming from the garage door. Garage doors shouldn’t be unbearably loud, with the exception of some older ones. Perhaps there is a problem with the motor or the mechanism.
Garage Door Repair Costs on Average
If you have a fair idea that it is time to get it repaired, the next step is to learn how much it will cost. What you spend ultimately depends on a number of factors, but here are some examples of the average costs.
- Cost of garage door spring repair: Most garage door springs cost between $50 and $100. Materials and labor for two springs should cost between $200 and $300.
- Cables that are frayed or broken must be replaced, which costs $150 to $200. A professional must take time and effort to replace garage door cables, as they are inexpensive.
- Unless the sensors can be realigned on your own, you need to fix a misaligned sensor if the door won’t close. This can be fixed for an average of $50 to $75.
- Track damage: According to Angie’s List, a bent or dented track costs approximately $125 to $150. Contracting companies have the tools to bend or replace trackbacks.
- You may only need some lubricant or to remove some debris from the tracks if your garage door is grinding, squealing, or screeching. In the event that that doesn’t work, you’ll have to hire a professional to fix the track.
- Professional overhead garage door repair of a broken glass panel will cost $75, whereas the glass may cost as little as $25.
- Replacement of the circuit board costs about $100, and includes reprogramming the garage door remote.
- It costs $10 to $15 to fix each damaged/broken roller, while hinges cost about $10 each.
Garage Door Types and Repair Costs
The cost of repairing some garage doors is lower than others. The average cost of repairing sectional doors is $128, according to HomeAdvisor. While Fiberglass is resistant to extreme temperatures, it is durable and resistant to splitting. Fibreglass repairs cost on average between $148 and $165. A steel door usually costs between $135 and $155 to fix; they can withstand a lot, but they rust easily.
A New Garage Door Costs About How Much?
You may also be wondering what it costs to replace a garage door when your garage door completely breaks or you decide it’s better to upgrade than fix the remaining issue. I find this question more challenging because the cost for garage doors and garage door installation depends on what kind of garage door you want to purchase.
- Most affordable garage door: uninsulated steel and aluminium garage doors tend to be the most affordable. Also included are premade sizes that can’t be customized. Those with a tight budget or time constraint can use this solution to replace their garage door.
- In the middle of the garage door spectrum are wood, glass, and steel garage doors. These garage doors will cost a bit more, but they will also have some perks. There are many benefits to these garage doors, including customization, upgrades such as windows, and durability against the weather.
- Garage doors made from 100% wood or glass are the most expensive. Their designs are sleek, and they can be customized entirely.
The most important part of buying a new garage door or getting affordable garage door spring repair is choosing a reputable garage door company that will provide the highest quality service and ensure all customizations are done correctly and on time. For garage door installation or garage door repair, always check the garage door company’s website for any specials or coupons being offered.
Hire a Professional Company to Get the Right Price
One other crucial factor that determines the cost of overhead garage door repair is the company you choose! When you want the best garage door repair services at an affordable price, you should choose a good and reputable company. You won’t have to burn a hole in your pocket if you choose the right service provider.